Equipping Singaporeans with opportunities to thrive, grow and realise their aspirations
Minister for Education Mr Chan Chun Sing engaged over 70 RP students to hear their views on what they hoped to see in the education and lifelong learning landscape. They spoke about the importance of developing future-ready skillsets and resilience, embracing lifelong learning, and celebrating success beyond academic achievements. He was joined by Senior Minister of State for Defence and Manpower Mr Zaqy Mohamad, Senior Minister of State for Communications and Information and National Development Mr Tan Kiat How, and Minister of State for Education and Manpower Ms Gan Siow Huang.
An RP student sharing his views on education in Singapore. Credit: MCI / Tan Chin Fan
At the event, Minister Chan also launched the Forward Singapore Equip pillar microsite. The microsite provides more information about the key areas of focus under the Equip pillar, and allows members of the public to submit their pledges on the collective outcomes for education and lifelong learning. Minister Chan joined the RP students to pen down their pledges at the engagement session.
What defines success for you? Is success an outcome that is a combination of your effort and circumstances, or is success more about how well you have been able to surpass yourself?
- Minister for Education Mr Chan Chun Sing’s closing remarks at the RP engagement on 5 September 2022
An RP student writing his pledge to realise the collective outcomes under the Forward Singapore Equip pillar. Credit: MCI / Tan Chin Fan
Five key areas of focus under the Equip Pillar
Launched earlier in June 2022, the Forward Singapore exercise seeks to refresh Singapore’s social compact across six thematic pillars - Empower, Equip, Care, Build, Steward and Unite.
The Equip pillar will focus on building consensus and fostering collective responsibility on how to equip every Singaporean with more opportunities to thrive, grow and realise their aspirations.
The Ministry of Education will be engaging stakeholders on the outcomes across the following five key areas:
1. A strong foundation for every child: Anchoring our children in a strong foundation of sound values and a supportive family environment.
2. Diverse learning models for diverse abilities: Nurturing curious, confident and compassionate lifelong learners by providing diverse learning models for students of diverse abilities.
3. Multiple pathways of success: Providing a variety of opportunities and multiple pathways for diverse learners, catering to their strengths and interests.
4. Caring for students with special educational needs: Building an inclusive society where there are opportunities for all to contribute.
5. Lifelong growth for everyone: Embracing continuous learning beyond our school years.
Senior Minister of State Mr Tan Kiat How, Minister of State Ms Gan Siow Huang, and Senior Minister of State Mr Zaqy Mohamad in a dialogue with the RP students. Credit: MCI / Tan Chin Fan
Share your thoughts on education and lifelong learning
Want to be part of the discussion? Consider these questions:
How can we…
1. …give every child a strong foundation and good start in life?
2. …cater to our students’ diverse abilities, interests and aspirations with diverse learning models?
3. …foster an inclusive environment for those with special educational needs to lead independent and meaningful lives?
4. …continue to provide multiple opportunities and pathways to cater to diverse strengths and interests?
5. …build a culture and system of continuous learning that extends beyond our schooling years?
Group photo with RP students and their pledges. Credit: MCI / Tan Chin Fan
For more information on the other pillars under the Forward Singapore exercise, click here.
Published on 19 September 2022.
STORIESEvery effort counts. You can play a part and contribute in small and big ways to shape a better Singapore. Be inspired by stories from fellow Singaporeans.
Forward Singapore: Affirming commitment to work towards shared goals for education and lifelong lear...
Minister for Education Mr Chan Chun Sing engaged with over 200 parents, youths, educators, community and industry repres...
Forward Singapore: Refreshing the social compact on public housing to ensure affordable homes for Si...
On 6 November 2022, Minister Desmond Lee visited the MND housing roadshow at Our Tampines Hub.
Forward Singapore: Delivering on opportunities and assurance for Singaporeans throughout life
Minister for Manpower Tan See Leng and NTUC Secretary General Ng Chee Meng spent time with professionals, managers, and ...
Forward Singapore: A series of citizen-led open discussions on various issues impacting Singapore’s ...
At the REACH x Forward Singapore Conversations on 20 October 2022, Deputy Prime Minister & Minister for Finance Lawrence...
Forward Singapore (Unite Pillar): Building and maintaining a cohesive, inclusive and united Singapor...
Minister Edwin Tong launched public engagements for the Forward SG Unite pillar at the Our Singapore Leadership Programm...
DPM Lawrence Wong launches Forward Singapore exercise
Reviewing and refreshing Singapore’s social compact for the next phase of nation-building