SINGAPOREANS INVITED TO CONTRIBUTE PLEDGES TOWARDS SHARED EDUCATION AND LIFELONG LEARNING GOALS
1. As part of the Forward Singapore exercise, the Ministry of Education (MOE) invites Singaporeans to share their views, hopes, and pledges on the collective outcomes for education and lifelong learning at the Forward Singapore Equip pillar microsite (https://go.gov.sg/forwardsg-equip). This was launched by Minister for Education Mr Chan Chun Sing today (5 September 2022).
2. The Equip pillar leads, Minister for Education Mr Chan Chun Sing, Senior Minister of State for Defence and Manpower Mr Zaqy Mohamad, and Senior Minister of State for Communications & Information and National Development Mr Tan Kiat How, together with Minister of State for Education and Manpower Ms Gan Siow Huang, engaged students on Forward Singapore at Republic Polytechnic (RP) on 5 September 2022.
3. At the session, 74 RP students discussed what they hoped to see in the education and lifelong learning landscape and made individual pledges on what they can do to contribute to realise these desired outcomes.
4. Key themes that emerged during the discussion included the importance of developing future-ready skillsets and resilience, embracing lifelong learning, and celebrating success beyond academic achievements.
Building consensus and taking collective responsibility
5. The Equip pillar engagements will focus on building consensus and fostering collective responsibility on how to equip every Singaporean with the opportunity to thrive, grow and realise their aspirations, regardless of their starting point in life.
6. From August to November 2022, MOE will be engaging various stakeholders including leaders in schools and Institutes of Higher Learning, educators, parents, and students on the collective outcomes for education and lifelong learning and the roles they can play in it. The engagements will focus on the outcomes across the following five key areas:
a. A strong foundation for every child: Anchoring our children in a strong foundation of sound values and supportive family environment.
b. Diverse learning models for diverse abilities: Nurturing curious, confident and compassionate lifelong learners by providing diverse learning models for students of diverse abilities.
c. Multiple pathways of success: Providing a variety of opportunities and multiple pathways for diverse learners, catering to their strengths and interests.
d. Caring for students with special educational needs: Building an inclusive society where there are opportunities for all to contribute.
e. Lifelong growth for everyone: Embracing continuous learning beyond our school years.
7. These sessions will culminate in a large-group engagement bringing together the various stakeholders in mid-November 2022, to consolidate our findings and reaffirm our commitment to education and lifelong learning.
8. For more opportunities to collaborate under other Forward Singapore pillars, please visit www.forwardsingapore.gov.sg.