Designed by Scottish architect Frank Wilmin Brewer in 1939, the old St. Andrew’s School was one of his largest and most intricate works.
A spacious grass quadrangle sits at the heart of the building with distinctive arches lining the corridors of school. The quadrangle, called ‘holy ground’ by students as they were barred from walking across the lawn, is a central feature to the open concept of the building. A tower, previously the prefects’ room, stands proudly at the north-east wing of the school.
Mr Yee Teck Peng, 84, graduated from St. Andrew’s School in 1952. Both he and his wife, Mrs Mary Yee, 84, began teaching at St. Andrew’s from 1955 and 1956 respectively where they devoted many years to grooming generations of students. For the couple, this open concept of the school grounds has laid the foundation of valuable life lessons for students.